Any taxpayer can file for an automatic extension of time to file his or her federal income tax return.  Individuals file a Form 4868 and entities file a Form 7004.  However, filing an extension merely extends the due date of the tax return, it does not extend the time for any payment of taxes.  Therefore, if a taxpayer owes taxes, those taxes are due on the original filing date of the tax return.  If those taxes are not paid on time, IRS charges late payment penalties and interest until the taxes are paid.